June 28 to 30: SEI-Certified Introduction to CMMIJanette Toral
The country’s second Carnegie Melon University – Software Engineering Institute Authorized Introduction to Capability Maturity Model Integrated (CMMI©) Course is scheduled to take place this June 28 to 30, 2004.
The CMMI© has evolved from the learning, feedback and experience of software organizations across the world that deployed various models (ISO, CMM©, etc.) for improving their processes. CMMI© builds on and extends the best practices of the Capability Maturity Model for Software (SW-CMM©), the Systems Engineering Capability Model (SECM), and the Integrated Product Development Capability Maturity Model (IPD-CMM).
Our advocacy for quality software development started in 2001 where we brought the first and only SEI Authorized Introduction to CMM public training. We lobbied for the government to take CMM as a national priority. (Read Making The Philippines CMM Self-Sufficient). However, recognizing the fact that CMM is about to sunset by the end of this year, we decided to pursue CMMI hoping our country will be part of the early majority this time (not a laggard adapter as to what happened to us with CMM).
For this training, we partnered with Trimentus Technologies to deliver this important 2nd public training program in the country.
Trimentus Technologies offers CMMI consultancy, training, and appraisal services. The company”s key differentiating factors are its qualified experts possess a hands-on, practitioners approach towards process definition, implementation and assessment/appraisal. It believes in partnering with clients to take ownership of the process – definition and implementation. Its research wing, Einstein Research Laboratory, work behind the scene to identify, develop, pilot and then bring to fore, new models, tools, process methodologies andoffer to clients.
Trimetus is authorized by SEI to conduct the Official Introduction to CMMI© SE/SW training, which is a mandatory requirement for an organization to undergo the final appraisal – Standard CMMI© Appraisal Method for Process Improvement (SCAMPISM).
The discussion in the course is structured by grouping Process Areas (PAs), examining specific and generic goals and practices. It is based on version 1.1 of the CMMI© SE/SW/IPPD/SS.
The CMMI© is a model that help organizations improve their ability to develop and maintain quality products and services.
This course introduces systems and software engineering managers and practitioners, appraisal team members, and engineeringprocess group (e.g., SEPG, EPG) members to Capability Maturity Model® Integration (CMMI®) fundamental concepts.
This is helpful in identifying the issues in performing process improvement as structured by the CMMI©
Students completing the course will be able to:
- Describe the importance of defining processes within an engineering organization and the rationale for process improvement
- Explain the architecture of the CMMI models (maturity levels, process areas, goals, and generic practices)
- Locate and begin to apply relevant information in the model to your organization Function as a SCAMPISM ATM (Appraisal Team Member)
- Apply the CMMI© principles to meet the needs of systems engineering and software engineering organizations
- Introduction and Overview
- Model – Based Process Improvement
- CMMI – Staged Overview
- Maturity Level 2 – Managed
- PA – Requirements Management (REQM)
- PA – Project Planning (PP)
- PA – Project Monitoring and Control (PMC)
- PA – Supplier Agreement Management(SAM)
- PA – Measurement and Analysis (MA)
- PA – Process and Product Quality Assurance (PPQA)
- PA – Configuration Management (CM)
- PA Relationships and Module Summary
- Maturity Level 3 – Defined
- PA – Requirements Development (RD)
- PA – Technical Solution (TS)
- PA – Product Integration (PI)
- PA – Verification (VER)
- PA – Validation (VAL)
- PA – Organizational Process Focus (OPF)
- PA – Organizational Process Definition (OPD)
- PA – Organizational Training (OT)
- PA – Integrated Project Management (IPM)
- PA – Risk Management (RSKM)
- PA – Integrated Supplier Management (ISM)
- PA – Decision Analysis and Resolution (DAR) and Summary
- Integrated Product and Process Development (IPPD)
- PA – Organizational Environment for Integration (OEI)
- PA – Integrated Project Management (IPM) with IPPD added
- PA – Integrated Teaming (IT)
- PA – Relationships and Module Summary
- Maturity Level 4 – Quantitatively Managed
- PA – Organizational Process Performance (OPP)
- PA – Quantitative Project Management (QPM)
- PA Relationships and Module Summary
- Maturity Level 5 – Optimizing
- PA – Organizational Innovation and Deployment (OID)
- PA – Causal Analysis and Resolution (CAR)
- PA – Relationships and Module Summary
There are no prerequisites for this course. Those who have some knowledge of systems engineering, software engineering, and management, with exposure to quality assurance, configuration management, and basic management principles can help.
Completion of this course is a pre-requisite for ATM selection in a SCAMPISM (CMMI© Appraisal Method for Process Improvement) Appraisal.
Who should attend?
The course is designed for:
- Systems and/or software engineering managers and practitioners interested in understanding the CMMI©
- Companies planning a CMMI© based improvement program and requiring a better grasp of the CMMI?systems and/or software engineering issues involved
- Appraisal Team Members in a SCAMPISM appraisal
- SEPGSM/EPG members who will lead process improvement
Materials include The Introduction to CMMI Training Material, the CMMI Training Exercise Handbook, The CMMI Model.
The instructor for this training program is Dr. Santhanam Ravichandran B.E., M.B.A., Ph.D. He is an SEI Authorized CMM, CMMI and People CMM Lead Assessor, SEI Authorized CMMI Instructor, and Six Sigma Champion.
Dr S. Ravi is a high-statured professional with an extensive library of skills developed over twenty years experience in commercial,government and consulting environments, with great people management skills. He has done excellent service to Indian community increating awareness on IT quality. He is a successful senior IT professional incorporating effective project management methodologies and processes, reducing support and maintenance costs, and increasing productivity. He is an eminent and popular scholar who enjoys an excellent reputation of distinction and prominence in the Indian IT community.
Dr. Ravi has conducted over 5 high maturity SCAMPIs as well as over 15 CBAIPIs and PCMM Assessments and is extremely well versed in theAppraisal methodologies.
In Manila, he has recently completed the CMMI Appraisal for IBM and works with clients like Oracle (India), Panasonic (US), Toshiba(US), Fujitsu (China), Cognizant (India), Syscom and Cybersoft (Taiwan) among other clients.
To enroll, please email Janette Toral at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information details:
Name of Participant(s):
Course Fee: One thousand two hundred dollars (US$1200) (plus 10% VAT)
Pay online for only US$1200.
This training, if availed in the USA, will cost a participant US$3000 (excluding airfare and accommodation).
Venue: National Computer Center, C. P. Garcia Ave., Quezon City (near University of the Philippines Diliman)
We can only accept 16 participants in this training course. Enrollment is only confirmed upon receipt of payment. Deadline for registration and payment is on May 28.
To learn more about CMMI, read the following articles:
If you are still undecided whether CMMI is right for you, I urge you to sign up in our FREE Software Process Improvement Workshop online.
Leave a Reply