Philippine Internet Demographics 2007Janette Toral
One of the most frequently asked question I encounter whenever I report Internet developments in the Philippines is the demographic profile of our country. Here’s what we have so far in the course of our research and interviews in the provinces which I personally visited. We’re not saying that this is the ultimate figure but it can serve as a guide. Any clarification from readers in their respective province are more than welcome.
Question: How many Internet users do we have in the Philippines?
There are many statistics going around this but here is what we’ve found out:
- There were 19.2 million Internet users in the middle of 2005 according to a resource person I interviewed from International Data Corporation or IDC.
- There were 4 million Internet gamers in 2006 according to IPVG.
- According to a Siemen’s in-house study, fixed broadband subscribers is currently pegged at 600,000.
- In 2008, ACNielsen estimates that the number of Internet users will reach 24 million. With the availability of affordable computers, this might further increase.
- In 2009, it is estimated that there’ll be 1 million broadband subscribers. (Siemens)
- There will be 16 million Filipino Internet gamers in 2010 (IPVG)
We are looking at 41 million Internet users in the year 2014. We define an Internet user as someone who has access to the Internet either through its own PC, corporate facility, schools, Internet cafes, among others. The FIU is different from its Western and Asian counterparts. The FIU is not necessarily a PC owner and it will be more and more to be that way as its Internet user population increases.
If Internet users will indeed reach 24 million in 2009, it is possible that the breakdown will look something like this: (note that this is assuming people won’t move around that much, from one area to another. If it does, then you need to factor in migration when making an estimate adjustment.)
- Region 1 – 750,000
- Region 2 – 210,000
- Region 3 – 1,800,000
- Region 4 – 5,250,000
- Region 5 – 900,000
- Region 6 – 1,800,000
- Region 7 – 1,800,000
- Region 8 – 450,000
- Region 9 – 360,000
- Region 10 – 600,000
- Region 11 – 900,000
- Region 12 – 300,000
- NCR – 9,000,000
- CAR – 210,000
- ARMM – 60,000
- CARAGA – 90,000
With the greater availability of online facilities from Internet cafes, cheaper dial up subscriptions, DSL, broadband, broadcast, satellite, cable, we forecast that the number of Internet users will increase by 50% every 2 years.
Question: How many Filipino Internet users buy online?
In relation to online shopping, we estimate that around 13% of Filipino Internet users buy products and services online with a total spending of around US$312 million this 2006.
Question: Where can I get more information about the facts you shared in this article?
I suggest that you join the DigitalFilipino.com Club where you can get free research reports.
Do you have statistical information on Internet users, Internet cafes, ISPs in your province? Please let us know.