10 Ways to Attain Search Engine VisibilityJanette Toral
Once you have that web site up and running, here are some practical lessons learned to attain search engine visibility.
1. The web browser title bar clearly shows the title of your website and the page it is referring. If it’s an article page, the article title should be clearly seen on the title bar.
2. Make sure your website has the necessary meta-tags for proper identification of the website description, keywords, among others. You can use this Meta-Tag Generator if you don’t have one yet or don’t know how. For images, don’t forget to add an ALT and Title tag too.
If you are having a problem in considering which keywords is best for your website, you can check out these tools:
- Add Me Keyword Suggestion Tool
- Google AdWords Keyword Tool
- SEO Book Keyword Suggestion Tool
- Google Suggest Labs
- DigitalPoint Keyword Suggestion Tool
- Wordtracker Keywords Suggestion Tool (with GTrends)
- Keyword Query Difficulty Checker
Note that keywords are required in creating meta tags and when registering your site to search engines. Poor keywords can result to poor visibility in search engine results.
If you already have meta-tags in your site but want to find out if you can still improve it further, you can use this Meta Tag Analyzer.
3. Create a blog site and update it regularly with links pointing to new items in your website. As blog updates are regulary captured by search engines, articles linked to it are captured as well. (Avoid republishing your content to more than one site)
5. You can also use the Poodle Predictor to have an idea how your site will show up in search engine results and help you in customizing your website further. You can also monitor its performance through SERP Tracker, 103Bees, Hit Tail, and Google Analytics.
6. Make sure that your website domain name registration is good for more than 1 year to avoid being classified as a possible spam site.
7. Don’t have more than 100 sites links to your website’s home page immediately on the first month. Less is better or at least go for at no more than 10 backlinks a month. You are also encouraged to do internal linking featuring other article or items in your site.
Note that when reputable sites link to you, they pass on part of their reputation as well and may indirectly influence your Google PageRank. Monitor your domain name popularity from time to time – find out your PageRank and those that link to you.
Resist the temptation of getting into a spree of convincing website owners to link back to you. Excessive linking can affect your website visibility.
8. Include an RSS feature in your website. Afterwards, add this to your commercial portal home pages for search engine content capture.
9. Create a robots.txt file to guide search engines on how to crawl your website as well.
10. Register your site with various search engines. When registering, typically, you browse the registration Web site and look for a link named Add URL, Add Web Site, or Register Web Site. Here are some websites worth checking out:
Philippine Search Engines
International Search Engines
- Surf Gopher
You can also check out your website’s popularity on a regular basis and find out who is linking to you.
Registering your site with search engines and directory is an important step in letting the whole Internet space know your existence. Of course, this should be complemented by traditional marketing schemes.
If you are ready to spend, you can also utilize Google AdWords or Overture to market your site. You can also promote your website through blog marketing. Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this.